Sunday, December 04, 2005

Hi, My Name is Ed and I’m Fat


I’m addicted to sugar.

You name it. Every kind of desert, chocolate, cookies, cake, I just inhale it.

I weighed a whopping two hundred and forty four pounds.

I couldn’t stand it anymore. I had to do something.

I joined Weight Watchers.

Jill wanted to join so I asked if I could go with her.

I was already exercising; it just didn’t matter because I ate like a pig. I was a fat man on the treadmill, like a fat hamster on a Habitrail wheel.

As a man going to a Weight Watchers meeting it is a strange experience. I am the only male in the meeting. The whole experience and communication to the members seems to be geared for women. There are butterflies and rainbows on all of the pamphlets and handout materials. There is a total lack of machismo to the program.

The first couple of weekends were easy. I lost 6 pounds the first week, 3 the second and 1 and change for the third. I got my 10-pound ribbon this week. So despite the lack of manliness about the program it does seem to be working.



I still have a long way to go. I want to lose 50 pounds total and be back at around 195. That seemed to be about right I had been thiner back in my running days and got down to 180 with a 6% body fat content…it just didn’t look right.

There are still days that I do not count points. I am still losing weight…just not as much. I’ll get there soon. The good thing is that I continue to run and that I am getting better at it everyday.

I have signed up for the PF Chang’s half marathon.

I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: