Monday, February 20, 2006

Sick



Someone once told me, "Take care of yourself and the universe will take care of you." Although greatly oversimplified as logic, there is a universal truth about it.

Over the last 2 years and 7 months I have not been sick. Let me rephrase that. I have not called out in that long of a time.
I have come in looking like death warmed over on high 5 minutes in the microwave, but I refrained from calling out sick. I don't know why I am so stubborn about it. What am I trying to prove. When I come in sick I just piss off all of the people I work with. I quickly lash out, "where do you think I got this from?' Not that this is the right train of thought either.

Along time ago when I was younger I use to call out, a lot. If I wasn't feeling good or just didn't feel like it I would report to the medic station. Something was always hurting. Why run 6 miles if you just didn't feel good? Then one day I got sick, real sick. I was in quarantine for a week. Later for another reason I was sent away for some further medical tests and looking at the possibility of knee surgery. I had an ephiphany, I felt that being sick was a lousy way to get a day off. I just wanted to be better again.

When I entered back into civilian life I developed a new work ethic, work as long as you can for as hard as you can. You'll never know when it will all be taken away from you. Your work is your identity and you are judged on how you apply yourself. Since that time I have gone the opposite way. I have come back to work just days after a surgery. I have come into work with a fever of 102. For awhile the madness would not stop. In some ways it continues.

Last Friday I got the aches and chills, I started coughing and got a runny nose and a fever, yet I stayed at work. This weekend I was just knocked on my ass by the flu, even then I continued to do chores and do some work from home. When I came into work today I could barely breath without sneezing or coughing. "You look like and sound like shit, " and with that my boss sent me home. I guess I haven't learned yet. I just want to work hard, no matter what.

I'll stay home when H5N1 hits, we all will.

No comments: